The City Attorney plays a very important role in:
- Providing basic advise to the city council and staff
- Interpreting how the law applies to current or proposed ordinances, policies, programs and activities
- Prosecuting violations of city ordinances, such as zoning, nuisance or traffic laws
- Drafting ordinances, resolutions, contracts, agreements, administrative policies, and other legal documents; reviewing rough draft of ordinances and resolutions prepared by city staff
- Attending meetings and answering inquiries from council members, staff or citizens
- Generally representing the city in lawsuits initialed by or against the city.