City Council Meeting
REGULAR MEETING OF THE NEVADA CITY COUNCIL
MONDAY, JUNE 27, 2022 – 6:00 P.M.
NEVADA CITY HALL, COUNCIL CHAMBERS – 1209 6TH STREET
Notice to the Public: The Mayor and City Council welcome comments from the public during discussion on agenda items. If you wish to speak, please complete a card found on the podium near this agenda and hand it to the City Clerk before the meeting. When your name is called, please step to the podium, state your name and address for the record, and speak. The Mayor may limit each speaker to five minutes. If you wish to present written materials and/or a signed petition in addition to your oral presentation, those materials need to be delivered to the City Clerk by noon on the Wednesday prior to the meeting to be included in the Council packet. The normal process on any particular agenda item is that the motion is placed on the floor, input is received from the audience, the Council is given an opportunity to comment on the issue or respond to the audience concerns, and the vote is taken. On ordinances, there is time provided for public input when recognized by the Chair. In consideration of all, if you have a cell phone, please turn it off or put it on silent ring. The use of obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, racial slurs, slanderous comments, and any other disruptive behavior during the Council meeting will not be tolerated and the offender may be barred by the presiding officer from further comment before the Council during the meeting and/or removed from the meeting. The Council will be meeting in the Council Chambers, Zoom may be provided, so long as that option is available.
OR by phone: (312) 626-6799, (646) 558-8656, (301) 715-8592
Webinar ID: 879 6173 3099 Password: 287321
*If you would like to speak through Zoom regarding an agenda item or during public forum prior arrangements are REQUIRED. Written documents may also be submitted.
Please call City Hall at 515-382-5466 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 p.m. Monday, June 27, 2022
1. Call the Meeting to Order
2. Roll Call
3. Approval of the Agenda
4. Presentation and Request for Contribution for the Expansion at the Des Moines International Airport and Appropriate Follow-Up.
5. Review of ICAP and IMWCA Insurance Renewals, Melissa Johnson with Midwest Insurance
6. Approval of CONSENT AGENDA (Any item on the Consent Agenda may be removed for separate consideration.)
A. Approve Minutes of the Regular Meeting held on June 13, 2022
B. Approve Payment of Cash Disbursements, including Check Numbers 78019-78118 and Electronic Numbers 1127-1137 (Inclusive) Totaling $2,153,927.65 (See attached list)
C. Authorize Payment of $38,395.00 to Iowa Municipal Workers Company Association for FY 2022/2023 Insurance after July 1, 2022
D. Authorize Payment of $240,006.00 to Iowa Communities Assurance Pool for FY 2022/2023 Insurance after July 1, 2022
E. Approve Revised Grant Agreement with IEDA for the Camelot in the Amount of $200,000.
F. Approve Tax Abatements:
1. BP2021-0196, 916 11th Street – New House
2. BP2019-0160, 537 6th Street – New Garage
3. BP2021-0153, 1112 Sioux Drive – Basement
4. BP2021-0168, 107 West I Avenue – Addition
5. BP2021-0185, 1325 K Avenue – Garage
G. Approve Renewal of Class “E” Liquor License (LE), Wine, Beer and Sunday Sales for HyVee Dollar Fresh, 1622 Fawcett Parkway, Effective August 10, 2022
H. Approve Renewal of Class “C” Liquor License, Outdoor Service and Sunday Sales Permit for Good & Quick Co., 519 Lincoln Highway, Effective August 11, 2022
I. Approve Fiscal Year 2022/2023 Retail Cigarette/Tobacco Permits for:
1. Renewal – Fareway Store, #426, 1505 South B Avenue
2. Renewal – Casey’s General Store #2306, 1138 Lincoln Highway
3. Renewal – Casey’s General Store #3319, 1800 South B Avenue
4. Renewal – Moes Mart #15, 136 Lincoln Highway
5. Renewal – Moes Mart #16, 731 Lincoln Highway
6. Renewal – Good & Quick Co., 519 Lincoln Highway
7. Renewal – Dollar General Store #1536, 1705 South B Avenue
8. Renewal – Nevada Dollar Fresh, 1622 Fawcett Parkway
7. MAYOR’S APPOINTMENTS
A. Approve Re-Appointments of the following Board/Commission Recommendations
1. Board of Adjustment – Dianna Haley
2. Planning & Zoning – Evie Peterson
3. Historic Preservation Commission – Jon Augustus
4. Parks/Recreation/Cemetery Board – Tony Sneiderman
5. Senior Community Center Board – Merry Cordes
8. PUBLIC FORUM: Time set aside for comments from the public on topics of City business other than those listed on the agenda – no action may be taken. (Please keep your comments to five minutes or less.) This is an opportunity for members of the audience to bring to the Council’s attention any item not listed on the agenda. Comments are limited to five (5) minutes per citizen, and the City will notify citizens when their time has expired. Speakers may not yield their times to others, and as a general rule this is not a time for exchange of questions. The Mayor has the authority to reduce the time allowed for comment in accordance with the number of persons present and signed up to speak.
9. OLD BUSINESS
A. Ordinance No. 1025 (2021/2022): An Ordinance amending the Zoning Map of the City of Nevada, Iowa, by amending the zoning classification the parcel of land owned by Cary P. Martin at 1002 D Avenue, located within the corporate limits of the City of Nevada, IA, from “LI” (Limited Industrial) District to “R-2” (Residential) District, third and final reading
B. Ordinance No. 1026 (2021/2022): An Ordinance amending the Zoning Map of the City of Nevada, Iowa, by amending the zoning classification the parcel of land owned by Michael L. Doty at 436 11th Street, located within the corporate limits of the City of Nevada, IA, from “LI” (Limited Industrial) District to “R-2” (Residential) District, third and final reading
10. NEW BUSINESS
A. Approval of Hattery Shelter Project for Parks & Recreation Department
B. Approval of HR Green Work Order; Scope of Services for Cemetery Project Phase 2, not to exceed $20,000
C. Resolution No. 093 (2021/2022) A Resolution Approving the Contract Between Iowa Economic Development Authority and the City of Nevada for the Award of Community Development Block Grant Covid-19 Program for the City Microenterprise Assistance Project
D. Resolution No. 094 (2021/2022): A resolution approving a Memorandum of Understanding Between City of Nevada, Iowa and Public Professional and Maintenance Employees Local 2003 IUPAT Authorizing and Directing Signing of the MOU to the Union Contract
E. Resolution No. 095 (2021/2022): A Resolution approving Inflation Raise for Non-Bargaining Employees Effective July 1, 2022
F. Resolution No. 096 (2021/2022): A Resolution Setting Date for Public Hearing on Designation of the Expanded Nevada Urban Renewal Area and on Urban Renewal Plan Amendment
G. Approve Neighborhood Improvement Incentive Program Application for 1223 K Ave, in the amount of $1,680
H. Resolution No. 097 (2021/2022): A Resolution approving an Administrative Subdivision Application for Story County Hospital, 640 S. 19th Street
11. REPORTS – City Administrator/Mayor/Council/Staff
12. CLOSED SESSION: Closed Session pursuant to Iowa Code Section 21.5 (1) (i) to evaluate the professional competency of an individual whose appointment, hiring, performance or discharge is being considered when necessary to prevent needless and irreparable injury to that individual’s reputation and that individual requests a closed session.
13. Discussion and appropriate follow-up on Closed Session pursuant to Iowa Code Section 21.5 (1) (i) to evaluate the professional competency of an individual whose appointment, hiring, performance or discharge is being considered when necessary to prevent needless and irreparable injury to that individual’s reputation and that individual requests a closed session.
The agenda was posted on the official bulletin board on June 23, 2022, in compliance with the requirements of the open meetings law.
NOTICE: PUBLIC MEETING
PROPERTY MAINTENANCE & RESIDENTIAL RENTAL CODE
IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE
REGULAR CITY COUNCIL MEETING
JUNE 27, 2022
A Public Meeting will be held by Building Official Ryan Hutton to discuss the proposed Property Maintenance and Residential Rental Code. All those interested in the proposed code changes are encouraged to attend.
Members of the City Council may attend this meeting. No decisions of the council will be made at this public meeting.