City Council Meeting
REGULAR MEETING OF THE NEVADA CITY COUNCIL
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2022 – 6:00 P.M.
NEVADA CITY HALL, COUNCIL CHAMBERS – 1209 6TH STREET
Notice to the Public: The Mayor and City Council welcome comments from the public during discussion on agenda items. If you wish to speak, please complete a card found on the podium near this agenda and hand it to the City Clerk before the meeting. When your name is called, please step to the podium, state your name and address for the record, and speak. The Mayor may limit each speaker to five minutes. If you wish to present written materials and/or a signed petition in addition to your oral presentation, those materials need to be delivered to the City Clerk by noon on the Wednesday prior to the meeting to be included in the Council packet. The normal process on any particular agenda item is that the motion is placed on the floor, input is received from the audience, the Council is given an opportunity to comment on the issue or respond to the audience concerns, and the vote is taken. On ordinances, there is time provided for public input when recognized by the Chair. In consideration of all, if you have a cell phone, please turn it off or put it on silent ring. The use of obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, racial slurs, slanderous comments, and any other disruptive behavior during the Council meeting will not be tolerated and the offender may be barred by the presiding officer from further comment before the Council during the meeting and/or removed from the meeting. The Council will be meeting in the Council Chambers, Zoom may be provided, so long as that option is available.
OR by phone: (312) 626-6799, (646) 558-8656, (301) 715-8592
Webinar ID: 879 6173 3099 Password: 287321
*If you would like to speak through Zoom regarding an agenda item or during public forum prior arrangements are REQUIRED. Written documents may also be submitted.
Please call City Hall at 515-382-5466 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 p.m. Monday, September 26, 2022
1. Call the Meeting to Order
2. Roll Call
3. Approval of the Agenda
4. PUBLIC HEARING(S)
A. Proposal to Amend City Code for Bee Keeping
1. Public Hearing
2. Ordinance No. 1034 (2022/2023): An Ordinance Amending Chapter 55 of the City Code of Ordinances of Nevada, Iowa, 2022, to Allow the Keeping of Bees in the City, first reading
B. Proposal to add Chapter 159 Vacant Property
1. Public Hearing
2. Ordinance No. 1035 (2022/2023): An Ordinance Amending the Code of Ordinances of the City of Nevada, Iowa, 2005, by Adding Chapter 159, Vacant Property, to Establish a Vacant Property Code Registration and Maintenance Program, first reading
5. Approval of CONSENT AGENDA (Any item on the Consent Agenda may be removed for separate consideration.)
A. Approve Minutes of the Regular Meeting held on September 12, 2022
B. Approve Payment of Cash Disbursements, including Check Numbers 78546-78636 and Electronic Numbers 1182-1190 (Inclusive) Totaling $3,877,151.89 (See attached list)
C. Approve Financial Reports for Month of August, 2022
6. PUBLIC FORUM: Time set aside for comments from the public on topics of City business other than those listed on the agenda – no action may be taken. (Please keep your comments to five minutes or less.) This is an opportunity for members of the audience to bring to the Council’s attention any item not listed on the agenda. Comments are limited to five (5) minutes per citizen, and the City will notify citizens when their time has expired. Speakers may not yield their times to others, and as a general rule this is not a time for exchange of questions. The Mayor has the authority to reduce the time allowed for comment in accordance with the number of persons present and signed up to speak.
A. Proclamation for Watershed Awareness Month
7. OLD BUSINESS
A. Ordinance No. 1029 (2022/2023): An Ordinance Amending the Zoning Map of the City of Nevada, Iowa, by Rezoning the Property at 640 South 19th Street Outlot A from AR (Agricultural-Residential Reserve District) to R-4 (Multiple Family Dwelling District), third and final reading
B. Ordinance No. 1030 (2022/2023): An Ordinance Amending the Code of Ordinances of the City of Nevada Iowa, 2006, by Amending Provisions Pertaining to Sewer User charges, Chapter 99, third and final reading
C. Ordinance No. 1031 (2022/2023): An Ordinance regarding proposed Modified Chapter 77, pertaining to Golf Carts, second reading
D. Ordinance No. 1032 (2022/2023): An Ordinance regarding proposed New Chapter 78, pertaining to ATV/UTV, second reading
E. Ordinance No. 1033 (2022/2023): An Ordinance amending Chapter 69, No parking, funeral parking, second reading
8. NEW BUSINESS
A. Approve New Class “C” Liquor License for Melissa Sly d/b/a/ Camelot Theater Foundation, 1114 6th Street, Effective September 19, 2022
B. Presentation and Request for Funding on behalf of the Camelot Theater Foundation and Appropriate Follow-Up.
9. REPORTS – City Administrator/Mayor/Council/Staff
10. Discussion and Appropriate Follow-up Regarding Dangerous Building, 536 4th Street
11. CLOSED SESSION: Closed Session pursuant to authority found in Iowa Code 21.5 (1) (c) to discuss strategy with counsel in matters that are presently in litigation or where litigation is imminent where its disclosure would be likely to prejudice or disadvantage the position of the governmental body in that litigation.
12. Discussion and appropriate follow-up on Closed Session pursuant to authority found in Iowa Code 21.5 (1) (c) to discuss strategy with counsel in matters that are presently in litigation or where litigation is imminent where its disclosure would be likely to prejudice or disadvantage the position of the governmental body in that litigation.
The agenda was posted on the official bulletin board on September 22, 2022, in compliance with the requirements of the open meetings law.