City Council Meeting
REGULAR MEETING OF THE NEVADA CITY COUNCIL
MONDAY, JANUARY 9, 2023 – 6:00 P.M.
NEVADA CITY HALL, COUNCIL CHAMBERS – 1209 6TH STREET
Notice to the Public: The Mayor and City Council welcome comments from the public during discussion on agenda items. If you wish to speak, please complete a card found on the podium near this agenda and hand it to the City Clerk before the meeting. When your name is called, please step to the podium, state your name and address for the record, and speak. The Mayor may limit each speaker to five minutes. If you wish to present written materials and/or a signed petition in addition to your oral presentation, those materials need to be delivered to the City Clerk by noon on the Wednesday prior to the meeting to be included in the Council packet. The normal process on any particular agenda item is that the motion is placed on the floor, input is received from the audience, the Council is given an opportunity to comment on the issue or respond to the audience concerns, and the vote is taken. On ordinances, there is time provided for public input when recognized by the Chair. In consideration of all, if you have a cell phone, please turn it off or put it on silent ring. The use of obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, racial slurs, slanderous comments, and any other disruptive behavior during the Council meeting will not be tolerated and the offender may be barred by the presiding officer from further comment before the Council during the meeting and/or removed from the meeting. The Council will be meeting in the Council Chambers, Zoom may be provided, so long as that option is available.
OR by phone: (312) 626-6799, (646) 558-8656, (301) 715-8592
Webinar ID: 879 6173 3099 Password: 287321
*If you would like to speak through Zoom regarding an agenda item or during public forum prior arrangements are REQUIRED. Written documents may also be submitted.
Please call City Hall at 515-382-5466 or email email@example.com by 4:00 p.m. Monday, January 9, 2023
1. Call the Meeting to Order
2. Roll Call
3. Approval of the Agenda
4. PUBLIC HEARING(S)
A. Proposed Amendment to the Nevada Urban Renewal Area
1. Public Hearing
2. Resolution No. 069 (2022/2023): Resolution to Approve Urban Renewal Plan Amendment for the Nevada Urban Renewal Area
B. Proposed Development Agreement with Mid-States Material Handling & Fabrication, Inc.
1. Public Hearing
2. Resolution No. 070 (2022/2023): Resolution Approving Development Agreement with Mid-States Material Handling & Fabrication, Inc., Authorizing Annual Appropriation Tax Increment Payments and Pledging Certain Tax Increment Revenues to the Payment of the Agreement
5. Approval of CONSENT AGENDA (Any item on the Consent Agenda may be removed for separate consideration.)
A. Approve Minutes of the Regular Meeting held on December 12, 2023
B. Approve Payment of Cash Disbursements, including Check Numbers 79105-79162 and Electronic Numbers 1252-1261 (Inclusive) Totaling $473,602.66 (See attached list) and the First Interstate Card Purchases for the January 5, 2023 Statement, total $3,254.29
C. Approve Provider Agreements with NEDC, Main Street Nevada, Nevada Community School District and Story County Medical Center, Story County for the “Our Nevada” Newsletter
D. Approve CIRTPA Representatives for Calendar Year 2022, Larry Stevens-Primary and Ryan Hutton-Alternate
E. Approval of Garbage License for Arends Sanitation – Additional Garbage Truck
6. PUBLIC FORUM: Time set aside for comments from the public on topics of City business other than those listed on the agenda – no action may be taken. (Please keep your comments to five minutes or less.) This is an opportunity for members of the audience to bring to the Council’s attention any item not listed on the agenda. Comments are limited to five (5) minutes per citizen, and the City will notify citizens when their time has expired. Speakers may not yield their times to others, and as a general rule this is not a time for exchange of questions. The Mayor has the authority to reduce the time allowed for comment in accordance with the number of persons present and signed up to speak.
A. Library Annual Report Presentation
7. OLD BUSINESS
A. Approve Pay Request No. 19 for WWTF Improvements-Phase 2 from Williams Brothers Construction Inc. in the amount of $621,917.05
B. Approve Pay Request No. 11 for WWTF Improvements-Phase 3 from Boomerang Corp. in the amount of $83,183.09
C. Approve Pay Request No. 4 for WWTF Improvements-Phase 4 from OnTrack Construction, LLC in the amount of $384,867.02
D. Field House Project, Contractor HPC LLC
1. Approve Pay Request No. 6 for the Fieldhouse in the amount of $98,479.85
2. Approve Change Order No. 1 for the Field House in the amount of $14,282.00
E. Ordinance No. 1040 (2022/2023): An Ordinance Providing for the Division of Taxes Levied on Taxable Property in the November, 2022 Addition to the Nevada Urban Renewal Ara, Pursuant to Section 403.19 of the Code of Iowa, third and final reading
F. Ordinance No. 1041 (2022/2023): An Ordinance Amending the Zoning Map of the City of Nevada, Iowa, by Rezoning the Property at 1238 T Avenue, Flummerfelt’s Country Club Estates, MHC LLC, from R-4 (Multiple Family Dwelling District) to R-5 (Mobile Home Park Residential), third and final reading
G. Resolution No. 071 (2022/2023): A Resolution approving the Merchant Processing Application and Agreement and Program Guide for taking credit/debit cards through the RecDesk software at the Fieldhouse
8. NEW BUSINESS
A. Approve LOT, Capital Equipment Revolving, Hotel/Motel, and TIF Worksheets for the FY23/24 Budget
B. Discussion and Appropriate Follow-up regarding the Public Safety Director Position
10. CLOSED SESSION: Closed Session pursuant to Iowa Code Section 21.5 (1) (j) to discuss the purchase or sale of particular real estate only where premature disclosure could be reasonably expected to increase the price the governmental body would have to pay for that property or reduce the price the governmental body would receive for that property. The minutes and the audio recording of a session closed under this paragraph shall be available for public examination when the transaction discussed is completed.
11. Discussion and appropriate follow-up on Closed Session pursuant to Iowa Code Section 21.5 (1) (j) to discuss the purchase or sale of particular real estate only where premature disclosure could be reasonably expected to increase the price the governmental body would have to pay for that property or reduce the price the governmental body would receive for that property. The minutes and the audio recording of a session closed under this paragraph shall be available for public examination when the transaction discussed is completed.
The agenda was posted on the official bulletin board on January 5, 2023, in compliance with the requirements of the open meetings law.