Nevada City Council Meeting
REGULAR MEETING OF THE NEVADA CITY COUNCIL
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2023 – 6:00 P.M.
NEVADA CITY HALL, COUNCIL CHAMBERS – 1209 6TH STREET
Notice to the Public: The Mayor and City Council welcome comments from the public during discussion on agenda items. If you wish to speak, please complete a card found on the podium near this agenda and hand it to the City Clerk before the meeting. When your name is called, please step to the podium, state your name and address for the record, and speak. The Mayor may limit each speaker to five minutes. If you wish to present written materials and/or a signed petition in addition to your oral presentation, those materials need to be delivered to the City Clerk by noon on the Wednesday prior to the meeting to be included in the Council packet. The normal process on any particular agenda item is that the motion is placed on the floor, input is received from the audience, the Council is given an opportunity to comment on the issue or respond to the audience concerns, and the vote is taken. On ordinances, there is time provided for public input when recognized by the Chair. In consideration of all, if you have a cell phone, please turn it off or put it on silent ring. The use of obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, racial slurs, slanderous comments, and any other disruptive behavior during the Council meeting will not be tolerated and the offender may be barred by the presiding officer from further comment before the Council during the meeting and/or removed from the meeting. The Council will be meeting in the Council Chambers, Zoom may be provided, so long as that option is available.
OR by phone: (312) 626-6799, (646) 558-8656, (301) 715-8592
Webinar ID: 879 6173 3099 Password: 287321
*If you would like to speak through Zoom regarding an agenda item or during public forum prior arrangements are REQUIRED. Written documents may also be submitted.
Please call City Hall at 515-382-5466 or email email@example.com by 4:00 p.m. Monday, February 13, 2023
1. Call the Meeting to Order
2. Roll Call
3. Approval of the Agenda
4. Farmers Market Presentation
5. Approval of CONSENT AGENDA (Any item on the Consent Agenda may be removed for separate consideration.)
A. Approve Minutes of the Regular Meeting held on January 23, 2023
B. Approve Payment of Cash Disbursements, including Check Numbers 79238-79329 and Electronic Numbers 1268-1283 (Inclusive) Totaling $549,727.92 (See attached list) and the First Interstate Card Purchases for the February 19, 2023 Statement, total $3,381.18
C. Resolution No. 073 (2022/2023): A Resolution to enter into a 28E Agreement with Story County to provide Dispatch/Jail Services for FY2023/2024
D. Approve Renewal of Class “E” Retail Alcohol License for Fareway Stores, Inc., d/b/a Fareway Store #426, 1505 South B Avenue, Effective March 1, 2023
E. Approve Class “B” Retail Alcohol License for DolgenCorp, LLC, d/b/a Dollar General #1536, 1705 South B Avenue, Effective March 1, 2023
F. Schedule Public Hearing on Fiscal Year 2024 Proposed Maximum Property Tax Levy for February 27, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. and Authorize Publication of Notice on February 16, 2023
6. MAYOR’S APPOINTMENTS
A. Approve Appointment of Mark Pleis to Board of Adjustment
7. PUBLIC FORUM: Time set aside for comments from the public on topics of City business other than those listed on the agenda – no action may be taken. (Please keep your comments to five minutes or less.) This is an opportunity for members of the audience to bring to the Council’s attention any item not listed on the agenda. Comments are limited to five (5) minutes per citizen, and the City will notify citizens when their time has expired. Speakers may not yield their times to others, and as a general rule this is not a time for exchange of questions. The Mayor has the authority to reduce the time allowed for comment in accordance with the number of persons present and signed up to speak.
8. OLD BUSINESS
A. Resolution No. 074 (2022/2023): Resolution providing for the levy of taxes to pay General Obligation Urban Renewal Bonds, Series 2023A
B. Approve Pay Request No. 20 for WWTF Improvements-Phase 2 from Williams Brothers Construction Inc. in the amount of $875,779.86
C. Approve Pay Request No. 5 for WWTF Improvements-Phase 4 from OnTrack Construction, LLC in the amount of $558,349.99
D. Approve Pay Request No. 7 for the Field House from HPC LLC in the amount of $1,422,729.50
E. Review 2023 Nevada Foundation Human services Funding Round and request for $16,269.58
9. NEW BUSINESS
A. Approve Purchase of new fire engine for the Fire Department
B. Resolution No. 075 (2022/2023): A Resolution to approve IowaDOT Agreement for Detour
10. REPORTS – City Administrator/Mayor/Council/Staff
11. CLOSED SESSION: Closed Session pursuant to authority found in Iowa Code 21.5 (1) (c) to discuss strategy with counsel in matters that are presently in litigation or where litigation is imminent where its disclosure would be likely to prejudice or disadvantage the position of the governmental body in that litigation.
12. Discussion and appropriate follow-up on Closed Session pursuant to authority found in Iowa Code 21.5 (1) (c) to discuss strategy with counsel in matters that are presently in litigation or where litigation is imminent where its disclosure would be likely to prejudice or disadvantage the position of the governmental body in that litigation.
13. Discussion and Appropriate Follow up Regarding Closed Session.