Signature Requirements – Nevada is a city without runoff provisions and follows Chapter 45, Nomination by Petition
The minimum number of signatures needed is dependent on the size of the city.
- For cities with a population of 3,500 or greater: at least twenty-five (25) signatures
For Offices Elected by Ward (Nevada has Wards 1 through 4)
In cities where council members are only voted on by the residents of the ward, petition signers must live within the ward.
Monday, August 23 – Thursday, September 16, 2021
- Nomination petitions and affidavits of candidacy are filed with the city clerk.
- City Clerk’s offices must be open until 5:00 p.m. on the day of the deadline.
- Affidavits must be notarized.
- For more information please see the Candidate’s Guide from the Iowa Secretary of State
Paperwork required (fillable forms available on SOS website) or at City Hall
- Nomination Petition (needs at least 25 signatures) State of Iowa
- Affidavit of Candidacy (needs notarized)
Secretary of State’s Office: http://sos.iowa.gov/elections/electioninfo/CityElections.html
Ethics & Campaign Disclosure Board: Guide for City Candidates | Iowa Ethics & Campaign Disclosure Board
The following City of Nevada Offices will be on the Ballot on November 2, 2021
(Incumbent shown in parentheses)
MAYOR (Brett Barker)
WARD 2 (Luke Spence)
WARD 4 (Dane Nealson)
AT-LARGE (Brian Hanson)