Key take-aways from this City Council meeting:
- A Public Hearing on the sale of Gates Hall to the Nevada School District will be held during the City Council’s April 26 meeting, which starts at 6 p.m. If you want to make a comment for the record, please email Kerin Wright, Nevada City Clerk, at email@example.com. You may email a comment for the record to the city clerk, or email your desire to speak during the public hearing. You may also call Kerin at City Hall, 515-382-5466, to discuss speaking or ask questions. The City will provide more information about the Gates Hall matter next week. Follow our Facebook page for this information.
- Lincoln Highway Days work continues, as per the City’s council representative on the committee Jason Sampson. The annual celebration will be held Aug. 28. There will be a parade.
- The first week of June is the anticipated kickoff of the public fundraising campaign for the Fieldhouse at SCORE.
- Nevada Parks and Recreation is getting water turned on in all the City parks this week. Water at the Cemetery will be turned on in several weeks, following a repair.
- Fire Chief Ray Reynolds said he was able to speak with the owner of the two former White Oak stations recently, and found out they have been having conversations with the Iowa DNR. There are issues from previous ownership, which is why the DNR hasn’t given the go-ahead for them to pump gas. Reynolds was grateful to the DNR for being committed to the community’s safety and not allowing gas to be pumped until conditions have been met. Reynolds said what he heard is still consistent with the gas stations hoping to be open at some point.
- A public meeting on the 2040 Visioning process is planned for Saturday, May 8. The meeting will be held from 9 a.m. – noon at the Senior Center. More information will be presented on this. Follow our Facebook page.