The City of Nevada is taking applications for the position of Police Officer as part of the Public Safety Department. Applications, Resume, and Cover Letters are due by January 21st, 2022 @ 5 pm. Documents can be emailed to email@example.com, mailed to the Police Department, or hand-delivered. Physical Agility Testing will be held on February 5th, 2022. Upon successful completion of the Physical Agility Test, applicants will take the POST. Testing will begin at 8am at the Nevada Public Safety Department: 1209 6th Street, Nevada, IA 50201. Plan on testing taking several hours, any questions can be sent to Sgt. Andrew Henderson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Minorities, Women, and Military Veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Starting wage is $25.00/hour ($52,000 per year)
- Advancement to Senior Patrol and Corporal offers a wage of $38.27/hour ($79,539 per year)
- 10-hour work shift that allows for every other weekend off
- 90 floating holiday hours annually, available to use during the first year of employment
- $5,000 sign-on bonus for qualified certified officers
- $8,000 longevity bonus
- iPers retirement system
We offer opportunities such as:
- WatchGuard Body camera/in-car camera systems
- Newly purchased Records Management System and in-car computers
- Patrol rifles assigned to every officer
- Take-home car program
- Opportunity for instructor assignments, specialty assignments, and various overtime assignments
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- At least 18 years of age
- Ability to maintain a valid Iowa Driver’s License
- Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol (Chapter 400.17 of the Iowa Code).
- No felony convictions.
- Non-certified officers – ILEA required physical fitness test.
- Certified officers – Only need to participate in the physical agility test for baseline purposes
- Pass the POST (Police Officer Selection Test)
- Pass a post-offer physical/drug test, polygraph, and psychological evaluation.
The Nevada Public Safety Department serves a community of approximately 7,000 people. Nevada is the county seat for Story County and is just 10 minutes drive from Ames and Iowa State University Campuses. Nevada’s proximity to I-35 makes commuting an ease, being approximately 35 minutes drive from the Des Moines Metro. Nevada provides proximity to the urban metros while still providing a small-town feel with a newly updated downtown and local shop.
Nevada provides a top 20 ranked school district with a 15:1 student to teacher ratio, making this an ideal area for families to raise children. The multiple up-to-date parks and aquatic center allow for several summer activities for families. The city is also in the planning stages of a state-of-the-art Fieldhouse.
Nevada has expanding businesses such as Burke Marketing, Almaco, Mid-States, Verbio, and others supporting the workforce of the city. Medical careers can be found at Story County Medical Center, McFarland Clinic, Rolling Green Nursing Home, and several assisted living locations.
Physical Agility requirements can be found on the ILEA website at https://ileatraining.org/files/DDF/Form-PTStandards.pdf
POST test practice test and study guides can be found at:
Find more information and an employment application at this link: