The City of Nevada is taking applications for the position of Police Officer as part of the Nevada Public Safety Department.
Applications, Resume and Cover Letters are due by March 3, 2023, @ 5 p.m. Documents can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, mailed to the Police Department, 1209 6th Street, Nevada, IA 50201, or hand delivered.
Physical Agility Testing will be held on March 24, 2023. Upon successful completion of the Physical Agility Test, applicants will take the POST test. Testing will begin at 8 a.m. at the Nevada Public Safety Department: 1209 6th Street, Nevada, IA 50201. Plan on testing taking several hours; any questions can be sent to Sgt. Josh Cizmadia at email@example.com. Minorities, Women and Military Veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Starting Salary is $25.50/hour ($53,040/year)
- 10-hour work shift that allows for every other weekend off
- 90 floating holiday hours annually, available to use during the first year of employment
- $5,000 sign-on bonus for qualified certified officers
- $8,000 longevity bonus
- iPers retirement system
We offer opportunities such as:
- WatchGuard Body camera/in-car camera systems
- Newly purchased Records Management System and in-car computers
- Patrol rifles assigned to every officer
- Take-home car program
- Opportunity for instructor assignments, specialty assignments, and various overtime assignments
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- At least 18 years of age
- Ability to maintain a valid Iowa Driver’s License
- Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol (Chapter 400.17 of the Iowa Code).
- No felony convictions.
- Non-certified officers – ILEA required physical fitness test.
- Certified officers – Only need to participate in the physical agility test for baseline purposes
- Pass the POST (Police Officer Selection Test)
- Pass a post-offer physical/drug test, polygraph, and psychological evaluation.
The Nevada Public Safety Department serves a community of approximately 7,000 people. Nevada is the county seat for Story County and is just 10 minutes drive from Ames and Iowa State University Campuses. Nevada’s proximity to I-35 makes commuting an ease, being approximately 35 minutes drive from the Des Moines Metro. Nevada provides proximity to the urban metros while still providing a small-town feel with a newly updated downtown and local shop.
Nevada provides a top 20 ranked school district with a 15:1 student to teacher ratio, making this an ideal area for families to raise children. The multiple up-to-date parks and aquatic center allow for several summer activities for families. The city is also in the planning stages of a state-of-the-art Fieldhouse.
Nevada has expanding businesses such as Burke Marketing, Almaco, Mid-States, Verbio, and others supporting the workforce of the city. Medical careers can be found at Story County Medical Center, McFarland Clinic, Rolling Green Nursing Home, and several assisted living locations.
Physical Agility requirements can be found on the ILEA website at: https://ilea.iowa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Form-PTStandards.pdf
POST test practice test and study guides can be found at:
Find more information and an employment application at this link: